1. Home
  2. Points of precincts
  3. Sutra Repository

Sutra Repository

Photo Sutra Repository

The 1126 dedication pledge (Ganmon) for Chūson-ji describes the Sutra Repository as being a ‘two-storey, tile-roofed’ structure. In 1337, fire destroyed the upper section but the building was saved from complete destruction and repaired with salvaged timber. Its once-colorful decoration has now faded, leaving the Sutra Repository rather drab in contrast to the Konjikidō

The mounted Monju Bosatsu pentad which was the Repository's principal image, and shelves which housed Chūson-ji's Blue-and-Gold Canon have been removed to the Sankōzō Museum for safer preservation, but a new mounted Monju has been substituted.

(Important Cultural Property)

Back to Points of precincts