Chūson-ji is the name of both the complex and this principal temple hall where many services and rituals are conducted. 20 to 23 monks work here at any given time. Supported by seventeen subsidiary halls, the Main Hall was most recently rebuilt in 1909.
The principal image is Shaka Nyorai (Historical Buddha) and on either side stand Chūson-ji's eternal lights, lit with flame from the Tendai sect's main temple, Enryaku-ji, where the flame is reputed to have burned since the time of Tendai's founder Saichō.
Chūson-ji is officially recognized as the Tendai sect's most important temple in Tohoku.